Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Rio, Day 7

March 6

Return Trip


Woke up early to make it to the rodoviaria (bus station) on time. On the way there, I was able to snap some shots of graffiti found throughout the city. We also passed by Maracana, the famous soccer stadium that will be hosting the final of this year's FIFA World Cup!


We arrived early, with lots of time to spare before my bus left for Itajubá. I perused some of the shops there and bought a juice and some peanuts for the road. When I found the correct bus, I recognized the driver as being the same guy that drove me out to Rio a week prior. I placed my duffel bag in the storage area below, boarded the bus, found my seat, turned on my mp3 player, leaned back, and relaxed for the next few hours.

The trip was scenic, and it also had some interesting moments. After a few hours on the road, I needed the bathroom. When I walked to the back of the bus, I found it difficult to open the door. After pushing and working the handle, the door finally opened and I heard a 'cling' on the other side as the handle fell to the floor. A minute later, I attempted to open the door from the inside, and it wouldn't budge. I was locked in the bathroom of the bus [ohhh buddy]. Thankfully after pounding on the door a few times and saying "Ajuda, Ajuda!" ("Help, Help!")- a guy near the back helped me open the door. Whew, that would have not been a fun ride back to Itajubá. Later on during the trip, we stopped at a nice rest area that was part snack store, part restaurant, and had bathrooms. It was around lunch time, so I decided to eat there. During the 20-minute break, a few more buses pulled-up and more passengers desembarked to stretch their legs. After finishing my meal and paying, I walked out, and looked for my bus. The bus driver I was riding with signaled to me, and then I realized that he was waiting on me- I was the last passenger to board! Oops. Another kind of close-call. I had known that it was nearly time to return to the bus, but I didn't know everyone else had already done so!

Once back in Itajubá, I walked straight from the rodoviaria (bus station) to the school where I am working for my internship. It was a tiring day to say the least, but what an experience I had in Rio!

Obrigado, Ida!


*This post concludes my trip to Rio de Janeiro during Carnaval!


No comments:

Post a Comment