Monday, March 31, 2014

Brazil Bound



On January 8th, my parents took me up to the Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta. After a smooth check-in process and saying our goodbyes, I passed through security and found my gate. During the wait, I met a guy who was flying to San Antonio to conduct basic training for the Special Forces of the Air Force. I have contemplated entering the military, after seeing some friends serve and learning about all the different benefits service men and women receive. For one, it would be an honor, plus there would be opportunities to travel. So that is still a possibility in the future.

Mom + Me + Paps

Reunited @ Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport
Before boarding the plane heading for Dallas, I updated my Facebook status and received a message from a good bud I had not seen in years, who was also flying in to Dallas the same day. Thanks to social media, I was able to meet up with Tom at the Dallas Fort-Worth Airport and catch-up. He has been busy since last we saw each other: marriage, a baby girl, and a higher-up position within FOCUS (Fellowship of Catholic University Students). He was heading south to Mexico on FOCUS business. It was great seeing him again and what a cool coincidence that we would be passing through the same airport at the same time, heading to different international destinations.

I boarded the second plane in Dallas later that evening and then embarked on the 9-hour, overnight flight to Guarulhos International Airport in São Paulo, Brazil. Around 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning, a little boy started crying some rows up in front of me. I felt bad for him because he was saying how tired he was, but he couldn't sleep [pobrecito].  Despite this, it was a really nice flight.

Boss-Man
When we landed, I proceeded in to the airport and immediately felt the warmth from outside. Now in the southern hemisphere, I had left winter back home and entered summer in Brazil. After collecting my bag, I exchanged some money and then being inexactly sure where to go, I proceeded in to a shop (which I think was tax/duty-free). After meandering in there for five or so minutes, I exited and then found where I was supposed to go. After passing through the hall-way around the corner, I entered in to an open room where there were many people gathered around the exit. They were searching for their friends or family members that had just arrived and some were holding signs with names. Upfront, I saw my name "ANTON HUGHES," in big letters. The man holding that piece of paper was my boss, Célio!

We promptly exited the airport and headed back towards his home, where he was allowing me to stay my first two nights. We had a good conversation on the way there, and stopped in the city of São Jose dos Campos to eat lunch. The scenery around us along the drive was surreal for me. I had not expected for the region to be so mountainous and scenic. The mountains were lush and green, not hard and rocky like the ones back home. Then I learned quickly that the state of Minas Gerais, where I was to be based during my stay, means "General Mines." When the Portuguese settlers were exploring the area, they discovered gold and other precious minerals and resources that they extracted from the mountains to ship back home to Portugal. Cattle, horses, and goats scattered the hill sides as we passed by. The winding roads, altitude, and jet-lag all contributed to the motion-sickness I experienced during the trip.

Célio showed me to my room and took a nap before dinner. He was extremely helpful and kind to me during my stay. From the start I knew he was going to be a great boss to work for! One that would look after his employees or in my case, the intern. For dinner that night, we ordered pizza.

Yes, pizza is normally eaten w/
knife and fork
My first opportunity to compare a food here that we also have back in the States. I met Célio's wife, Carmo, and learned that they too had been to Segovia, Spain and seen the Aqueduct. In fact, they have traveled around a good bit to a number of places.



Souvenir plates from the places Célio and Carmo have visited



















No comments:

Post a Comment