Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Ecuador

Day 1- Arrival

"¡Chevere!"


During my senior year of high school, three exchange students came to study and spend  a year in the United States. Their names were Rayassa, Marius, and Daniel. They came for the countries of Brazil, Norway, and Ecuador respectively.


A classic. 
Great photo of Danny taking a pk during one of our Rutland High school soccer games our senior year. 
We won this game, by the way.


I have kept in touch with Daniel since then, and had the opportunity to visit him and his family in Quito after my trips to Colombia and Peru!


7/4
Daniel was at work when I arrived in Quito, but thankfully his dad Carlos was able to pick me up from the airport. We went to the house of Daniel's parents where Carlos and I watched that afternoon's World Cup match. As the afternoon progressed, I began to meet more of Daniel's family. First, his mother got-off of work. Then we went to pick-up Alejandra, Daniel's 4-year old daughter, who was at her other grandparent's house. Later, Daniel and his wife Angiel finished their work days, and we were all together.


Alejandra made this trip extra special.
She was a lively, sweet, and an awesome little girl.

She called me "Churrito," which comes from 
the word "churro" meaning "curly." (-> my hair)


That first evening we visited the Centro Histórico of Quito. First, we had a tour of a church, La Compañia, which was established by the Jesuits. The interior of the church was gold plated and very elaborate. So elaborate and special, that pictures were not allowed inside the sanctuary. I did manage to snap a photo outside the front entrance, and in another room that had a collection of bells once used by the church.





 As we walked toward a restaurant downtown to have dinner, a few party buses pass by.





We concluded the night at a very nice restaurants called Vista Hermosa, or "Beautiful View."











Upon entering the restaurant, we took an elevator up to the top. Situated on top of one of the buildings downtown, was a nice open patio that allowed for great views of the city at night. There was a live band and heating lamps between the tables (as the wind made it pretty chilly). The food was good and reasonably priced- especially considering the ambience! I tried a new beverage called canzedola, an alcoholic drink served hot. I think it was like a hot, fruity wine. The first few sips were nice considering the chilly weather, but I didn't drink much more. 





(Earlier) Before picking-up Angiel and Daniel from work, Daniel's parents and I made a quick visit inside of the 
Basilica del Voto Nacional.






No comments:

Post a Comment