Saturday, May 3, 2014

Brazilian Falls

April 19th

Do outro lado 


I got up early Saturday because I was smoked out of the room. One of my roommates, who I believe was Italian, decided to have a smoke in our bathroom. So rather than rest for another hour, I decided to go ahead and get ready for the return trip to Brasil. 

My tennis shoes were still wet from the day before and I do not like having wet socks, so I improvised with a plastic bag I had brought and some tape. 

My attempt of keeping my socks dry. Worked for a little while.


There was a light rain, but I went ahead and proceeded to the bus station. I passed through the Argentinian immigration office smoothly and was able to re-board the same bus after receiving a stamp in my passport. From there, we crossed the bridge that goes over the river separating the countries, and I was dropped off at the Brazilian immigration office. The attendant there asked me a few questions and then I was good to go. However, I had to wait a good while (+30 minutes) at the bus stop for the next international bus from the same company to pass by.  Well technically I didn't have to wait, I could have paid for another bus ticket for a different bus line, but I waited on a bus from the same company so that I could use my ticket voucher.

Waiting at the bus stop.


When the bus arrived, I soon discovered that the bus driver was the same man who had brought me to the Brazilian immigration office on my way to Argentina just a few days prior. I think I realized this when I heard him call me "Obama." He's not the first to make that comment, ha. From there, I rode with him through the city of Foz do Iguaçú until we arrived at the bus station where we first met. I stepped off the bus, was directed to enter the terminal from the front (not the exit like I was attempting), and found the next bus I needed- the one heading for the cataratas!









The park's buses were decorated with animals that live in the area.

Cataratas do Iguaçú 

I did not have similar luck of getting the Brazilian price of admission in Brazil, ha. After paying the entrance fee, visitors then had to take buses that traveled further in to the park. On the bus route, there were a few different stops (i.e. adventure side-trips: boat rides & safaris, trails), but I stayed on until the stop that marked the beginning of the "Waterfall trail," Trilha das cataratas. I disembarked, took my camera out, and began the cliff-side walk that offered nice views of the waterfalls from an angle different from Argentina's side.





Snail I saw on the handrail. He was just chillin'.




Another snail. Maybe they're related?


It was a nice, scenic walk. 

































Near the end of the trail, there were some waterfalls that I had not seen from the Argentinian side.





There was also a bridge that extended out toward the edge of a set of falls, that overlooked the river and provided for a great (and wet) view.


















Despite the cold, wet weather, I enjoyed myself and the front-row seat to nature's show!









At the conclusion of the trail was an elevator to ascend and have yet another view.










After all the views, I found the restaurant that was recommended in my travel guide book: Porto Canoas. It was buffet-style restaurant with many different types of typical Brazilian dishes. Everything was delicious!
After lunch, I bought a few souvenirs and headed to the park exit/entrance. I had about 3 hours remaining before my flight was to take-off. I made it to the airport with plenty of time to change in to some dry, comfortable clothes and check-in. While I was there, a guy stopped and asked me where I was from and we had a conversation. A fellow airport employee of his joined in as well, and they were impressed with my level of Portuguese after having been here for just a couple months. We talked about sports and a few other topics, but it was interesting to hear their thoughts and ideas about the States and culture in general. 

I looked forward to arriving in São Paulo, because I would get to meet my Ana's family. When planning out this trip, I saw the opportunity to visit her family on the return trip from the waterfalls. Ana is my Brazilian friend who I first met at Rutland High School, when she arrived during my junior year.  She was an exchange student, played on the girls' soccer team, and started to date one of my good friends, Clint. They have now been married for just over a year, and live close-by. So, before departing for Brazil, I visited them to ask about what to expect and what advice they might have for me. Ana provided me with names and telephone numbers of friends and family, which enabled me to make some Brazilian contacts before arriving. 




Window seat. Onwards to Congonhas Airport in São Paulo.

So my next stop was Ana's house. I missed the opportunity to meet some of her family when I attended Clint and Ana's wedding, so it was time to meet her folks! 














No comments:

Post a Comment